Working on a farm is hard work that can be very rewarding. Learning to read is the same way! Practicing sight words is one thing that can make the hard work of learning to read a little easier. This Digital Farm Theme Third Grade Sight Words Activity will have your child reading, typing, and building their way to sight word mastery.
This digital activity is great for year round sight word practice, but will go especially well with a farm theme unit!
What Are Sight Words?
Sight words are words that children memorize as they are learning to read.
Once your child reaches third grade it may seem like they don’t need to work on sight words anymore, but they can be very helpful for reading fluency and strengthening comprehension!
These words can be high frequency words found commonly in grade level text, or words that don’t follow the normal phonics rules and can’t be decoded using phonics strategies.
There are a few different sight word lists out there. Fry word and Dolch sight words lists are two of the most popular.
Dolch word lists have a total of 220 words and the lists range from pre-primer words all the way through third grade reading sight words.
How To Use This Third Grade Sight Word Activity:
Enter your email address in the box below and then check your email for a link to this digital download to practice third grade Dolch sight words.
Once you open the link, you will be given the option to open the Google Slides version or the Seesaw activity. You can also upgrade to Boom Digital Task Cards if you would like!
If you choose the Google Slides version, follow the prompts to “Make a Copy” of the activity so that you are able to interact with it and share a copy with your students.
Once you have made your copy, make sure the activity is in “Edit” mode. This will allow you to practice typing and drag and drop the hay stacks into the box to build the word.
If you are using the Seesaw activity, click the “T” (text tool) to interact with the activity.
Pick a slide and sight word to work on with your child.
Have them click the megaphone to listen to the word and then practice repeating it back. Work on spelling and identifying the letters they see.
They can use the keyboard to find the letters that make up the word and type it into the box.
Using the hay bales with the letters, they can build the word in the box.
Once they have practiced one sight word, they can pick another word they would like to work on!
It may be overwhelming to try and practice all of the words at one time, so breaking up the practice into a few different sittings is probably a good idea.
Third Grade Sight Words YouTube Video:
Other Ways To Practice Third Grade Level Sight Words:
- Playing third grade sight word games is a wonderful way to practice sight words. Creating two sets of sight word flash cards and playing Memory with the cards can be a fun game to play!
- Have a sight word scavenger hunt with your third grade sight word list. Hide the words around your house or classroom. When a child finds the word, have them bring it to you and tell you what the word is. If they don’t know the word, have them spell it and then help them learn how to say it. You can time your child to see how fast they can find all the words, or if you have multiple children, see who can find the most words.
- Search for sight words in your favorite books.
Farm Theme Books for Kids
- After you practice the sight word on the screen, see if your child can create a sentence using the word.
- Print the slides for any words your child needs extra practice with and slip it into a clear plastic sleeve or laminate it to make a reusable, printable worksheet.
Get Your Activity Here