Watching a child learn to read is a great source of joy for parents and teachers. Children beam with pride as they sound out words and begin to string sentences together. They are filled with even more excitement when they begin to recognize words without having to sound them out! These Digital Farm Theme Preschool Sight Word Activities are a wonderful learning activity that will help your child practice their sight words.
Practicing sight words with your child is an awesome way to help boost their reading confidence and help them learn words they can automatically recognize as they are reading.
This fun farm sight word activity for preschool is a great addition to both in person and distance learning lesson plans.
What Are Sight Words?
Sight words are words that children automatically recognize without needing to use phonics or decoding skills.
The ability to recognize grade level sight words makes learning to read easier.
Recognizing words automatically increases the speed that children can read, also known as fluency.
As children increase their ability to read fluently, they can put more focus on developing their reading comprehension skills and understanding the story they are reading.
Preschool Sight Word List: a, and, away, big, blue, can, come, down, find, for, funny, go, help, here, I, in, is, it, jump, little, look, make, me, my, not, one, play, red, run, said, see, the, three, to, two, up, we, where, yellow, you
Ways To Teach Sight Words To Preschoolers:
- Play games and do hands on activities that practice sight words!
- Digital resources like these preschool sight word games online provide opportunities for children to practice words in an interactive way.
- Create a word wall and hang up sight words for a good reference display that’s easy to see.
- Make practicing sight words fun with activities like this preschool farm theme one!
- Incorporate preschool and kindergarten sight words into sensory play. Activities like this marshmallow sight word sensory bin are a perfect example!
- Hang sight words around your home or classroom and ask children to say them as they come across them when they are playing.
How To Use This Farm Sight Words Activity:
Enter your email address below and check your inbox for the email with the link to the activity.
Once you open the link, you will choose the Google Slides or Seesaw version.
If you are using the Google Slides version, be sure to follow the prompts to make a copy of the activity.
Open the activity and choose the sight word you want your child to practice.
In the top right corner of the slide there is a picture of a small microphone. Your child can click on the microphone to hear the word being read aloud to them.
Next, they will use the keyboard to type the word into the second box. This is great practice for keyboarding and for fine motor skills!
In the third box, they will use the letters written on the haystacks to build the word.
After one slide is complete, you can move on to another word!
Other Ways To Use This Farm Theme Preschool Activity:
- Provide your child with as little or as much support as they need. You can read the letters to them as they type and build the words. The more they do the activity, the more independent they will be able to become!
- Keep a white board handy and have your child use a dry erase marker to write the word. This is another activity for easy sight words for preschoolers practice.
- Hide sight word cards into a farm life themed sensory bin. After each sight word is picked from the sensory bin, your child can work on the slide that corresponds with that word.
- Talk about letter sounds as you work on building the words.